Sunday, August 25, 2013

New Illustration: Melt

"Melt." 2013
Prismacolor marker and pigment liner on paper. 5 x 7"

Started this about a week ago, but once again coloring the piece halted my progress for a bit.  I'll honestly say I can be slow when it comes to coloring an illustration trying to carefully choose each color and making sure it compliments the next. 

Each individual illustration I create is hand-drawn and hand-colored.  Hence, making the decision of what colors to use and the physical application of a color very important.  Whatever mistakes or accidental marks I make, espeically if it's near completion, are permanent.  When it does happen I have to adapt that mark into the piece or try and mask it to the best of my ability.  Sometimes it isn't too bad while other times it can throw a wrench into everthing.  These smaller illustrations I've been creating lately have just been for fun making them almost stress-free and silly.  

I love the combination of black raspberry ice-cream with chocolate sprinkles in a cone (my favorite being a big waffle cone).  It's delicious, iconic, and a delightful memory of getting ice-cream throughout my childhood.  I can still remember the first time my elementary school friend Desiree's mother introduced this combination while getting ice-cream at the local Stewart's (a gas station convenient store with an awesome ice-cream shop inside).  I've been loving it ever since.  

No comments:

Post a Comment