Thursday, November 7, 2013

New Illustration: Wise Picea (pines)

"Wise Picea (pines)" 2013
Prismacolor marker and pigment liner on paper


Yes, this illustration is a little different from what I normally create.  It was originally created to submit for a local call for art at the Gallery at the Syracuse Tech Garden.  Unfortunately, this piece did not make the cut.  However, that doesn't mean I won't try and submit it to future calls for art and/or try and get it exhibited in another gallery setting.  "Trees: Symbols of Powerful Experiences," will be exhibiting November 14-December 31st 2013 with the opening reception on November 21st 2013 @ 5-8pm.  The Gallery will be open Monday-Friday 9-4pm.  
 

I'm still an emerging artist and there's still plenty of room for growth, acceptance, rejection, and new opportunities.  I try and apply my work, or create new work for a many opportunities as I can physically can in between working my retail job and living my life (like cooking good food, reading, running, shopping;etc.)  I strive to continue to create my work and continue to apply to exhibitions to simply get my work recognized.  I am determined to be a successful artist with my illustrations and my re-purposed sculptural/installation work.

What can I say?  It's a rollercoatser, like most of life is.  Sometimes I feel on top of the world and so joyful and proud of my work.  Other times I feel frustrated, defeated, and disappointed; however that doesn't stop my momentum.  I cannot say enough how I love simply just making things with my hands; creating new art and cooking good food.  

Now, back to the illustration.  I've been wanting to create an illustration that essentially pays homage to both my deceased grandfathers, who both cultivated enriching experiences within the Adirondacks.  I wanted to create an illustration that would remind me of the times spent in the woods with each grandfather and my family, and something my family would aesthetically appreciate in their home.  

Donald, my maternal grandfather, was a New York State Conservation forest ranger for over half his life.  He would even check fire towers on various trails in the Adirondacks in the earlier experiences of his career.  Mario, my paternal grandfather, was an avid fisherman and camper and influenced a lot of my own camping experiences still I was an infant.  I associate both my grandfathers with the love and appreciation I have with this great forest that was practically in my backyard growing up in Gloversville, New York. ( I was literally less than 10 minutes away from the blue line of the park.)  I have represented both of them with their first initial on each side of the piece.

The illustration also depicts the view from the top of Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington, New York; specifically depicting Lake Placid in the background.  I have specifically revisited this location with my family many a time; literally driving up the mountain road (it was paved in the 1940s) in one of our Chevrolet station wagons. (I'm proud to say we've been a station wagon family for generations).  
The area is magnificently beautiful and is great for camping, fishing, swimming, and hiking.  I have so much love for that protected woodland and the memories and experiences I have within the Adirondacks.    

No comments:

Post a Comment