Saturday, October 6, 2012

Homestyle Cooking: Tuscan Ribollita







Autumn has officially arrived here in Syracuse, New York, and that means a myriad of delicious hot soups, stews, and bisque!  I absolutely love making homemade soup and lean heavily on vegetarian recipes.  Though I am not vegetarian (I tried this lifestyle for two years a couple years ago), the majority of dishes I make and eat are vegetarian friendly.  I honestly, don't get those cravings for a hot steak like my family does.

Thursday happened to be one of my days off, so I volunteered to cook supper with a warm bowl of veggie soup in mind.  I am equally in love with pureed soups just as I am with chunky soups, though I made this mind of Gregory who just happens to favor more chunkier soups during the colder weather months.  After a little digging around my favorite cooking sites and blogs I found this recipe for Ribollita, a very lovable Tuscan vegetable soup from TheKitchn found here. (Yes, this is my absolute favorite cooking site ever!)

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 dried bay leaf
10-ounce bag frozen spinach
2 cans cannellini beans with liquid
6 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock, for a vegan adaptation)
One 15-ounce can (1 3/4 cups) tomato pureé
9 ounces day old bread, torn in pieces, about 3 cups
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Parmesan, grated (optional)

The photo above was taken the day after I made it fresh, so it did get chunkier (more like a stew) with the bread chunks I put in.  It still held all it's flavor and goodness even after a little reheat on the stove.  I also added a couple sprinkles of ground red cayenne pepper to add an underlying heat in the soup as well (I like a little spice to most of my dishes).  I also served this soup with a big loaf of crusty french bread that had warmed in the oven for half an hour @ 225 degrees Fahrenheit.

This soup is absolutely perfect for the score of rainy, overcast, and particularly cloudy days we've been experiencing in Syracuse, and is easy to throw together after getting home from work.  Enjoy!

Happy cooking!
-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment