Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October Reading

 
The end of October is looming.  Gregory and I have been watching the Halloween movies up until the fifth one (the sixth deals with occult stuff that creeps me out too much).  My point with all this is "looming" makes me think of Dr. Loomis, Michael's doctor and psychatartist who is always trying to put an end to the mayhem.  I wouldn't say I like these movies, or any of those other typical scary slasher films, but my boyfriend does and I make it through them.  He picks the scary Halloween films and I pick the kid-friendly ones.  Think Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas.  I have, however, been steadily reading and wanted to update from the month of October to share some great reads!

Shown top to bottom: 
          The Call of the Wild and Other Short Stories by: Jack London 
          The Sea Wolf by: Jack London (currently reading)
          White Fang by: Jack London
          Pattern by: Orla Keily
          Sister of the Road: The Autobiography of Boxcar Bertha by: Dr. Ben Reitman
                    (which, actually is considered fiction, but is based on real people 
                     and experiences in hobo life and train hoppin' between the World Wars)

I finished reading all the remaining short stories during the month of October, though I did have The Call of the Wild and Other Short Stories by: Jack London listed in my September reading post.  An Odyessey of the North, To the Man on Trail, To Build a Fire, and Love of Life were great,and completely enthralling reads.

All of these books listed above, with the exception of Orla Keily's Pattern, which is based upon her experiences becoming a textile designer, are categorized as fiction, yet I wouldn't whole-hardheartedly consider them simply as that.  As you can see, I've been reading even more Jack London as my love for him and his writing continues to grow.  I honestly, don't think I'll be satisfied until I read every bit of writing he has created.

It's such a grand season to curl up with a good book and a mug of hot coffee, warm mulled cider, or hot chocolate!  I wish you many a good read and adventure as we begin to shift into November.

Happy reading!
-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment