Sunday, February 10, 2013

December + January Reading


I'm stillll readin'! (slowly yet steadily).  
One and half more books down (still reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72) and a whole bunch more to eagerly dig through and mentally digest.  (I've got a medium sized stack of new books from Christmas that are patiently waiting to be opened, read, and cherished).  I do happen to really enjoy reading my books slowly.  It sometimes feels like I'm cultivating a stronger relationship with them; taking the time to really dwell in the written world I'm reading and learning to love/appreciate the characters you seem to mentally walk with through the book.  Yes, I'm becoming a book nerd. 

I started the yellow book above, Weird Like Us, in December and finished it sometime in early/mid January.  This was definitely a book I wanted to not end as I contently went from chapter to chapter, thinking of some of my own past bomenian-like experiences.  As you can guess, I loved this book!  I recommend this book to all my friends and to anyone who feels even the slightest bit alternative/bohemian in their lifestyle (I can get really picky about what books I read, so the ones I do are worth it in my opinion).  The book felt open and diary-like as Powers relates her real-life experiences and memories to the different expectations of popular American culture, finding your "place" in life, and of growing older.  

One of the reasons I enjoyed this book so much was Powers bringing up things that our common culture classifies as beneath it, such as: dumpster diving, curb hunting the suburban streets for discarded treasures waiting for trash removal, cultivating your wardrobe from thrift store and consignment shops, or occasionally having a little grass.  I felt connected in some of these similar practices, because I have personally chosen that lifestyle.  I'll admit the majority of my wardrobe comes completely from a local thrift store (where all the proceeds go to assisting the homeless in the area) and I love it;  I've lived in a tent for a month in a friend's backyard (when my old lease was up and I couldn't find an apartment in time).  I've dumpster dove for food and have found some absolute gems along the curb, including six old boxy television sets I used for my senior exhibition for my BFA.

I absolutely love the feeling of upcycling and reusing; especially when it's full circle like donating and shopping at a thrift store/consignment shop.  I also like keeping a small container garden on little balcony I share and buy organic, when I can afford it. This is just the lifestyle I choose to lead as I continue to figure out what ideals I want to try/keep/discard as I get older.  I do have goals to be more self-sufficient, resourceful, and less wasteful;  I want to learn to distinguish food in nature and to continue to learn, and grow, and appreciate the simple things that I feel our popular culture is stifling.    

-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment