Thursday, September 12, 2013

To sell or not to sell?

This week I've been blessed artistically with opportunities of both exhibition of my work as well the potential sale of work.  I have one illustration that I just drove west to Buffalo to be included in a short exhibition at the quaint 464 Gallery.  Moments ago I was just mulling over what other illustrations to select for a pop-up exhibition in the lobby of the Hotel Utica in Utica, New York as part of Project U (this neat art collective I recently joined based out of, yes, Utica...lol).  

Once decided, I hopped on my computer to look over the information, as well as any new information added to the online group, and started feeling that lump in my throat when the word "sale" appears.  I've kind of sold some artwork in the past, which includes: a handful of recycled brown coffee cozies with little illustrations on them; and two illustrative painting (acrylic with marker added for detail) donated to a silent art auction and then bought by a very good friend and photographer, Shanna B.  In reality, I haven't sold a framed illustration "officially" as of yet.

Honestly, the thought of losing a piece scares me a little.  Ultimately I want to have prints made of all my pieces, so that I can at least have a physical copy of the original.  I want to be able to exhibit prints to sell without the worry of the heavy sense of loss.  I haven't found the right printing shop yet, or the right amount funds to set aside and do so, but it is on the horizon.  

It all may sound silly, I being the ring-leader, but until I can have prints successfully made, I feel I'll be attached to the originals I show.  I just feel that I work so hard to think of and physically create a piece that when I actually do sell it, it will be well worth my hard work and effort...hopefully.  Maybe I'm holding myself back or maybe I'm doing what I need to do for the moment....or until I figure things out.

-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment