Thursday, September 12, 2013

The long drive to Buffalo

"La Petite Gateau" 2010-2013.
Prismacolor marker and pigment liner on paper. 14 x 17"

Yesterday I made the 2 1/2 hour drive (one way that is) to Buffalo, New York with this illustration framed and wrapped next to me on the passenger seat.  I dropped it off yesterday afternoon at 464 Gallery for the 2nd Annual Vision Art Awards (same competition as Online People's Choice Awards. Basically anyone can vote online for your work or anyone else's anonymously and then the votes are tallied and voted again by a couple curators or art professors (most likely volunteering) for the actual show.

Out of the three illustrations I posted about last, this one seemed to be the best-liked by the judges at 464 Gallery (although the Grecian-looking girl holding absinthe had the most "likes" via Facebook) and won "Honorable Mention" for the show.  Though I am a little disappointed that my illustrations didn't win a solo-exhibition in this small gallery, I am very grateful for the chance to have my work in the show and be recognized none the less. It's another show to put on my resume and it's a new city that will get to see a sample of work!  Win-win!

It was a little scramble to get this illustration in a proper frame and have everything be perfect.  I ended up taking the actual illustration in and out of the frame at least five times, because every time I'd put it in, set things evenly, close the backings on the frame and turn it over there'd be some sort of fuzzy, speck of dust, or something trapped between the inside of the glass and the illustration itself!  

The last exhibition I applied to, Greg and I were in the backseat of my Mercury Grand Marquis busily trying to put the selected illustration and matting in the frame before dropping off the piece to the designated gallery.  There's always some sort of frantics and frustration trying to put everything together as fast as you can, to drive to piece over to the gallery all before the deadline.  Oi!  I know I'll laugh about all these stories down the road at least!!

I've got a bust weeked ahead of me and a lot of artistic opportunities coming my way!  I'll try and keep this blog posted with more of what has been going on.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment