Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Homestyle Cooking: Cottage Pie







































This was my first (ever) attempt at baking homemade cottage pie.  The photo above does look like a mess, but it was a very scrumptious and worthwhile mess to eat.  I chose to create a hybrid between two American recipes and one British recipe and bake it all in a glass (11x7") Pyrex casserole dish.  The American recipes were found between Food Network and TheKitchn.  The British recipe was found via the BBC.  I honestly am not familiar with any other British cooking websites/blogs other than the BBC currently, but would love to try some out.

The recipe I created (or mashed together) between the three, filled the casserole dish nicely, though it did look like quite a bit of food at first.  Both Gregory and I had heaping seconds and it ended up being the perfect amount (for two foodies) and leftovers for tomorrrow.  Next time I intend to try them out in individual ramekins for Gregory and myself (or if anyone else happens to be over for supper).   

Ingredients:

(filling)                                                                                       
2 carrots (washed, peeled, and diced)                                                                    
2 celery stalks (washed, peeled, and diced)
1/2 cups frozen peas
1/2 cups frozen corn (I used canned corn, which also worked very well)
1 onion (I used a red onion-any will do)
6 cloves of garlic (smashed and diced)
1 pound 90% lean 10% fat ground beef
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons Worcestshire sauce
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
freshly ground black pepper (added for taste)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

(topping)
4 small-medium russett potatoes 
2 small parnsips
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/4 cup half & half
2-3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (optional-but delicious)

Prepare a large pot to boil potatoes and parnsips.  Wash, peel, and dice potatoes, parnsips, and carrots.  Wash and dice celery and onion.  Boil potatoes and parnsips aare soft enough to easily stick a fork into.  Drain potatoes and parnsips.  Add half & half and butter and mash away until smooth.  Stir egg yolk in and set aside.

Heat extra virgin olive oil on low/medium heat in a large saucepan on the stove (the stove I use has numerals, so I put it on a 3- 3 1/2).  Add garlic and onions.  Saute for five minutes and then add the carrots, celery, and tomatoes.  Add ground beef (or ground lamb for a shepherd's pie) and cook until ground beef is browned all over.  Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir until everything is mixed in.  Pour in the chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil.  Add worcestshire sauce, rosemary, and pepper (and/or any other spice you may like).  Reduce heat to low and cook for another 10-12 minutes.  Add corn and peas and mix together thoroughly.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Transfer filling mixture to a casserole dish and smooth out to an even layer, covering the bottom completely.  Scoop potato/parnsip topping unto filling and evenly smooth out.  Bake for 30 minutes until potatoes are slightly browned on top.  If you would like to add a top layer of cheese, bake for 20 minutes.  Add cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.  Let the casserole cool/rest for a bit once it's finished before digging in (it may be tempting, but it isn't worth a burned mouth).  Serves 2-4 (depending on how many "seconds" you decide yo go for).  

This was a fantastic one-dish comfort food that was surprisingly light.  To put it in plain terms: it's a warm-tasty-mess-of-vegetables-and-cheezy-mashed-potato-goodness all in one dish!  I'm certainly saving this recipe for a cold wintery night when it will be the perfect warming food.  

Happy cooking!
-Caroline

.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .         


Note: I actually forgot to put the egg yolk in the mashed parsnip/potato mixture.  I'm sure that's why it came out without any kind of solidity in it's form (oh well).  I reassure you, it was still darn delicious.

Oh!  And since I forgot to update on the U.S. Election (I'm sure you all already know the results since it's been a week) I wanted to say I'm very happy Barack Obama won.  I personally rely on his healthcare; it helps me stay on my mother's health insurance until next June.  Which means in case of an emergency I am covered more if I need to go to the hospital-instead of having to pay out of pocket (which would NOT be affordable).  Contrary to popular belief of those older (and better off) than me, not all graduates can easily find jobs with decent pay and health care benefits.  I appreciate what Iittle support I do have for the time being.  Also to mention, Mr. Obama also supports Planned Parenthood, who I'm a HUGE supporter of.  I rely on these clinics for my annual check up, as SO MANY other men and women do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment