Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween/October Roundup







This October was low-key, but I don't mind.  I still feel content with how I spent the holiday as well as leading up to it; managing to cram in some typical seasonal activities to enjoy the season.  I had the chance to pick pumpkins off the vine at Bellinger's Farm in Fultonville, New York (a family favorite) with my mom as well as catch the last bits of apples on the trees in the orchardIt's been another rough year for apples and pumpkins in central New York with the summer drought and the autumn hail we've been getting.  

I carved pumpkins with Gregory for Halloween (which was a lot harder than I remembered).  Made a butternut squash soup (forgot to photograph) and spaghetti squash.  Baked all the squash seeds from both said squash.  Filled the living room with a candy-corn scent from a woodwick candle I bought from work.  Indulged in as much pumpkin and pumpkin-tasting things as I could...homemade pumpkin cookies with Hershey's milk chocolate kisses, pumpkin and sausage penne (forgot to photograph), and a little pumpkin coffee creamer with my morning coffee.

Our Halloween was spent with a couple of our friends watching Rob Zombie's version of Halloween, having a couple of brews and some homemade taco dip (photographed after we brought it home and had a little more), and playing with their new adorable French Bulldog/Boston Terrier puppy.  As you can see from the impromptu mini photo shoot in our kitchen that Gregory dressed up as Hunter S. Thompson and I went as the crafting mogul, Martha Stewart from the 1990s.  I'm pretty happy with the way my wig came out after some slight styling and a lot of hairspray, as well as the dated ensemble.  It was cheap, witty, and dated housewife frumpy.  Oh, and yes, we managed to find the real TarGard cigarette filter that Hunter S. Thompson swore by at our local Walgreen's to really pull off Greg's costume. 

I love hearing about what other witty costumes that friends come up with or people they have witnessed.  It's also never too early to be inspired by a design for next Halloween.

-Caroline 

No comments:

Post a Comment