Friday, November 30, 2012

I Love Leftovers.

The title says it all.  I love leftovers.  Even better than eating scrumptious food for the second time is reducing your personal food waste.  It's a delightful win-win situation.

I decided to write this post not only to talk about my love of leftover food from the night before, but also to share a tip on the last post concerning the homemade tomato soup.  I ate the last of the batch last night and decided to add some ingredients to mix.  Yes, it's still quite delicious after being chilled for a couple of days in the refrigerator.  I added too much red pepper flakes to mine and it was just a little too spicy for my preference (but I've been eating it anyways).  To counteract the spicy-ness I added about 4-5 teaspoons of tomato paste and 1/3 cup half & half.  Not only did this even out the soup a bit, but it also made it just a little creamy.  If you're a typical canned tomato soup person, I'd recommend you add 1/3-1/2 cup of half & half or whole milk to the soup for creamy goodness.  

Also, I discovered crushed tortilla chips make fabulous toppers on tomato soup!  Add a little tortilla chips, sour cream, and/or shredded cheese and you've got a pretty tasty dinner (especially on these colder nights).

-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment