Monday, November 5, 2012

Squash Season

I love squash I didn't always enjoy eating this vegetable, however.  Years have passed, I've grown with age, and my taste buds have certainly changed.  I've taken quite a liking to the taste and texture of different squashes as I've grown older.  One of my favorites is spaghetti squash (the pale yellow squash/noodle-like entree mixed with marina sauce pictured above).

I happened to luck out this year and purchased six squash (two spaghetti, two butternut, and two acorn squash) from a regional farm, during a visit home with my family.  As you can see pictured above, we've already consumed one butternut and one spaghetti squash.  But we did just have a new member to the squash bushel,a carnival squash, given to us from Gregory's sister Lara.  This will be my first time eating carnival squash-it is really cute looking.  I've cooked up both a butternut squash soup and baked spaghetti sauce with marinara sauce and cheese, but I still have yet to pin-point the recipes I want to use for the other ones.  

If you haven't had squash yet this autumn, go out to your local grocer or local farmer's market and purchase one!  It's just not fully autumn without some little squashy delight.

Happy cooking!
-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment