Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sketchbook Look: Celestial moonboy

Untitled (Celestial moonboy). 2013
Pigment liner on paper. 6 x 8"

Believe it or not I don't draw and doodle nearly enough for what I should be doing.  I should be doing it a lot more for my sanity's sake and for my developing career.  Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy and stop when I've started a drawing or doodle that really isn't hitting my expectations.  As silly as this sounds, I simply just need to let myself doodle more. 

I started this doodle in a small sketchbook that serves as both a place to write any new recipes I am inspired by off the internet, and any other various things I think of.  My sketchbooks have been holding more words than drawings lately, but they still serve their purpose in holding potential future projects and artistic pieces in general.  Gregory and I have been watching a lot of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine lately in the evenings (streaming via Netflix) and this drawing is a little inspired by of Odo, a shape-shifter on the show.  I'm beginning to like his character more and more as the series develops.  

When I completed the face (I always start with the eyes and then face first) I didn't know where to take the drawing....or what to make him into.  I decided to make him into a general "alien" looking man, though I thought about making him into a caterpillar or moth-looking man.  The moon was created with a little "Starry Night," by Vincent VanGogh, in mind.  I didn't have a "set" end result for how I thought this drawing should look like in the end.  I usually have an image in my mind of how I would like the pieces I draw or create to end, and sometimes I have no idea and "just go with the flow."  This was certainly a "let's see where this is going" piece.  

Now, the question comes down to color or not to color?

No comments:

Post a Comment